Whew! Ever feel like you’re a ping pong ball bouncing from place to place? That has been my whole week! My son started drivers ed, which is four days a week, plus all of our other activities…. Just call me the ping pong Mama. I’m planning a well-deserved relaxing day at home tomorrow!
Something that has been super exciting for me this week, though, is that we have some new people joining Trina and me for Color Play Friday! Mindy from Quilting Mayhem, Sarah from Sarah Goer Quilts, and Yvonne from Quilty Dream have all decided to get in on the fun this week. Be sure to check them out and give them some love in the comments!
More about Color Play Friday:
Trina from In An Otter Life and I created Color Play Friday one day after a nice trip to the fabric store together.
Here are the rules:
- Each week, Trina or I will select a picture from our joint Pinterest board. These are all pictures that one of us has taken on our adventures.
- Everyone creates a palette using colors from that picture
- We then create a bundle of 5-8 fabrics that is inspired by that palette. They don’t have to be an exact match to our palette, and we can throw in contrasting or accent colors, but the bundle should look inspired by the palette.
- We don’t see anyone else’s palette or bundle before we post on Friday.
- That’s it! It’s going to be so fun to see what we each come up with.
This week’s photo was taken at the end of a wonderful afternoon of boating in the Puget Sound with my husband and kids. We stopped at one of our favorite places: Jetty Island in Everett, WA. We left shortly after this photo was taken so we didn’t have to dock our boat in the dark, but I wished we could have stayed to watch the whole thing. Washington has some amazing sunsets!
When I started picking the palette colors for this picture, I immediately decided I wanted to do a very masculine bundle. Originally I had more blue, but it wasn’t working for me. When I looked back to the picture, I realized that there was actually a lot more grey, black and beige than was being represented in my palette. So I refocused, added some neutrals and took out some blue, and ended up with what I think is a bundle any man would be happy with!
I did something this week that I’ve never done- putting two of the same fabric in one bundle. It wasn’t for lack of options, I just loved them both and thought they each added something special to the bundle.
Here are the fabrics I chose:
A note about scale:
- While I believe scale is a very important part of fabric selection, the fabrics shown in my Color Play images are not always perfectly to scale. I do my best, by you should always double check scale before ordering!
Don’t forget to head over to the other blogs and see what they came up with! The fun of Color Play Friday is seeing the differences and similarities between everyone’s bundles.
Participants this week:
Laurel and Pine (that’s me!)
Are you enjoying Color Play Friday? We’d love for you to get in on the fun and create your own Color Play post! You can create a bundle of fabric, select yarns or embroidery threads, or create a project inspired by our photo. Be sure to let Trina or I know so we can link up to you. You can get in contact with me via email, or by tagging me on Instagram.
You can also head over to my Color Play Friday page to see my palettes and bundles from previous weeks.
Here is our photo for next week. It can be found on our Pinterest page.
I hope you can join us next week!
Happy Sewing, ~L